Let's Go


Dear Eugene,

A question came to me just now when I was in the washroom (such context should tell you the baloney you are about to partake): when a person dies, does the heart go first or does it go last?

I am sure you know I am not speaking scientifically.  And more specifically I am speaking about a process of dying, needs not to be protracted but for sure felt through and digested.  You can call it an awakening to one's withering.

So, the heart, the engine of our body, the wellspring of life, does it go first or last?  Do we turn the light off or stay bright until the sun goes down on us?

I can see myself lusting after life until I no more can, and I would even say the no more is a very big maybe, a metaphorical language to speak about the unknowable.  "Let's go," you said.  "Let's keep going," I am sure you meant.

Dying needs not to be protracted, but it can be lifelong too.  Some can't wait for a day to end; other laments every nightfall, energy unspent, joy inexhaustible.  Why do we fuss over our eventual passing when what we should pay more attention to is how we start to stop living every eventful morning?

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman