For You I Spoke


Dear Eugene,

"You'd better move in; I am against the door already."

The man at the door announced, generally to the air.  I don't think he was addressing me in particular, for I was not the only one trying to move in the light rail train that was already pretty packed.

Of course I asked in my heart, as those who were trying to squeeze in likely did too, why the man would not move in himself.  Of course it's also apparent that he's trying to secure a position to move out easily and soon enough.  He's a big man in construction attire so I took that he's moving out not the next stop but the one after, where a big construction project is happening.

I wondered when he made that announcement if he wasn't seeing it as some sort of public service for the common good.  It must have crossed his mind that someone else might also want to secure a position like his, someone else who might not have as secure a footing as a big construction man would have and thus all the more anxious about being trapped in one's deficiency when one form of security needs to be left behind to secure the next link in a chain of security.

"Everybody needs..." so we say, proclaim, purport to fight for.

The sentence could end with a word profound like fairness, or something vaguer like equal treatment, or something most obscure that betrays our indifference.

Like love.

Everybody deserves to be loved, isn't that the very truth of truth, the very thing we must hold on to for this world to turn yet one more day despite however miserably?

If everybody is to be treated fairly then I shall expect nothing less than myself being treated less fairly than how I would usually take fairness to mean and have the socioeconomic wherewithal so far to secure that definition.  If everybody is to be loved the way one wants to be loved than the fight for that to happen is to first fight against my need to be loved the way I want to be loved.

"You'd better move in; I am against the door already."  It's for your good.

And everybody else's.

Yours, Alex

Comments

  1. "If everybody is to be loved the way one wants to be loved than the fight for that to happen is to first fight against my need to be loved the way I want to be loved." True enough. Loving others also involves appreciating others by accepting other's love the way one needed to be loved. Who believes he/she is sufficient to only give but the self-righteous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman