The Hole


Dear Eugene,

Were you once like me, expecting bad things to happen all the time, especially when getting closer to Christmas, when everything is supposed to be nice?

I think it has to do with the rain and possible snow.  The cold weather, this part of the world.  The shopping, people getting what they want and never keeping any.  People hopping on airplanes, leaving home to find home.  Friends gathering, in hope to present to each other a better past year than the one before.  Things are supposed to be on the up and up, to progress.  Not that we are naive about life, but if we are to go down, we would like to be seen as doing so gracefully.  Nobody cries in a Christmas party, colors too bright for that.  Please leave your even most positive spin on a cancer tale at the door, where the slush is.

But, man, look at the news.  I don't want to look at it.  I don't even know why I am looking at it.  Other people's trouble, insisting to speak of my fragility and imminent downfall.  You do wrong to me, I do wrong to you, I can't tell which is which, and something being done to us like a judgement, something we somehow expected, a storm, a fire, the way we were going, but still we cry foul.  I am a frail being in a frail collection of beings, which points to the very nasty truth that we all at first and finally stand alone; frailty reduces us to solitude, with no one to blame but ourselves.  The last of our journey we walk alone.

I will have my turn one day to be the spectacle, the guy with a neck brace being hauled into an ambulance, red light and siren coming in and out of his consciousness, like he's at peace finally to have done his share of suffering in the name of being human, his tear hidden in the glitters of freshly cut Christmas trees people peek through from their warm kitchen at the window of composite sorrow, one snippet and then another.  I don't want to be that guy, the housewife changed the channel.  And she checked the turkey again.  Not again, she said.

So we can't be too cynical about the frivolity of the season.  It's not that we don't know sorrow, but we want to forget the wound of knowledge, "the hole in God's side," as R. S. Thomas puts it.  We ask the noise to drown things out, the twinkling lights to blind us just a little, and we will do what we've been told to get real again in January. 

The more the merrier in December
The less the hope when it's all over
That's the method to our madness
Well, let's call it a year

Yours, Alex

Comments

  1. Dear Eugene,

    “The last of our journey we walk alone.”

    It must have arrived within these past 12 hrs, discreetly alone in the coffin of a box labeled "Christmas tree for kiosk” by the old side entrance. I did not see it last night as I left the building.

    From birth, it must have been pulled pressed parceled to reducible specs by mechanical & human hands, hauled past slush ambulance shopping sprees housewives roasting turkeys in homes pierced with cracks of windows pelted by rain & possible snow, to have at last relented its march of progress, whisked its composite sorrow away & now in frailty leaning on industrial vinyl flooring. The solitude of a Christmas tree screams about “The Hole”, the “wound of knowledge”, from its cardboard grave.

    I thought I heard its scream when I saw him in the women’s restroom after lunch today. Well I first heard him wheeling in his cart, a portable mound of bleach sprays wipes towels. The contour of his back sloped down to a quiet stance. I searched for his eyes to perhaps share a smile. He stooped to gather trash & vanished with his load of tales untold, one snippet and then another adrift.

    Then in the same afternoon down the hall, I saw another with a similar cart, her face familiar to me. Not again, I thought: a smile possibly lost. This time she looked at me. We exchanged a few words of civility about the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend, trying to sound more humane in this part of the world in this building where people leave bed to find bed for healing. She smiled, her eyes drooping to tell another tale palpable only by the touch of the wound, The Hole.

    My two friends & I with our carts of stories bad & good should soon see the Christmas tree at the lobby unveiled.

    Yours, Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman