I Know This World is Killing You



Dear Eugene,

November it is, still early, a time that I would always look back on, always with regret, by the time Christmas is over.  The longing and anticipation, I would say in my saying goodbye, I want them back.  More than I want back Christmas herself, that's how petty my love for her is.

So here you are, Alex, right in the thick of longing and anticipation, high hopes and impatience, How do you feel?  What would you choose to do differently this year to finally regret not as deeply?

Well, it's a rainy November morning: what's one to do about and with that?  I need faith to see good creation out of bad material.  And yes, I have long given up doing away with regret; the irony is if I ever can it's because I've never cared for her and would see no opportunity to care for her any better, to prophesy my missing her and fulfill precisely that.

Christmas, my Alison,

Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking
When I hear the silly things that you say.
I think somebody better put out the big light,
'Cause I can't stand to see you this way.

Alison, I know this world is killing you.
Oh, Alison, my aim is true.
My aim is true.

Yours, Alex

Comments

  1. Dear Eugene,

    "How do you feel? What would you choose to do differently this year to finally regret not as deeply?… I know this world is killing you.”

    A November night it is, still young, a time I would look back on the aging of 24 hours. Around the clock in full circle my path has encircled buildings trees bodies, crossing the paths of three women I barely know. They differ in voice and form but echo in oneness, longing and anticipating Christmas.

    The first one came to my office, muttered regret and dropped her gaze to the floor, her rhythm of duty and desire dissonant. Words recoiled from emotions to bear the loss of things of time with family remote. Petty misses seemed stickiest to dismiss - laundry toast slippers at home 200 miles north. And there her baby with Mom. Too much work here now to return.

    Then another woman brushed by me in the lounge with donuts. Not hers. She longed for sweeter indulgence in freedom. Fourteen pounds lost in a week and more weight to unload and regain more of herself in this vanishing year, her aim true and fixed. I am going to lose it all, her words ringing in something deeper to replace hollowness.

    She was the last I met with a sign on her window ledge yesterday: Nothing is more practical than finding God, than falling in love in a quite absolute way. Our dialogue coasted within the absolute practicality of nearly an hour about new projects, our anticipation entwined seamlessly with the love of structure and timeline. Then something cracked vaguely in the shape of her question for me. Do you meditate to lose stress, gain control of life in sparks? There would be a full-week resort for meditation, an oceanic arc to bypass in flight and gather on foreign land in oneness to defend from the world’s killing.

    So here you are, Kate, right in the thick of mulling over these encounters intimately dazzling and transient like tinsels and ornaments. What’s one to do about and with that?

    Well, a new book has just arrived in my mail. I can’t resist turning its pages. Rowan Williams’ Being Human: Bodies, Minds, Persons. "Each of us has a presence or a meaning in someone else’s existence. We live in another’s life.”

    Christmas, she is now living among us in the clockwork of 45 days to come. In my iTunes I have one Christmas song by George Michael about a lost gift, nothing more to care for her in the cadence of carols.

    Let me do it differently this time “‘cause I can’t stand to see you [or me] this way… my aim is true.”

    Yours, Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman