Far from Home


Dear Eugene,

"Christmas is built upon a beautiful and intentional paradox; that the birth of the homeless should be celebrated in every home," so said Chesterton.

I think it also works the other way, for those who have finally managed to come in from the cold, that Christmas celebration in every home overheat, for every body overstuffed, and with every sight and sound of yuletide promise oversold, is built upon a most tragic and intentional paradox that we are perpetually far from home and no ugly Christmas sweater can make the sick joke less sick just because we see virtue in self-deprecating humor.

Yesterday I was in Richmond and took my in-laws to a new Chinese supermarket in a mall that's pretty much dead if not for that new corner.  It is a carved-out paradise: bubble tea, bubbling food, bubble jackets.  All safe to feel safe.  A man of a different race guarded the door but I didn't know what he was guarding against and he looked like neither did he.  I nodded and said Hi and he raised his lethargic right brow.

Then I drove to a gas station and a man of the same different race filled for me (for that's how Richmond is, no self-serve).  I waited beside him and tried to joke, I am from Burnaby and not used to this, being served, but I appreciate this...how are you? and he smiled a little.  He went between my car and a huge newly washed SUV gulping down premium grade.  When I was leaving the station the same SUV was in front of me.  I waited for it to turn right and exit but it just wouldn't.  I assumed the driver saw a reason not to and respected that vision.  But then the wait got longer and I needed to try harder to trust what I couldn't see.  Then my rightmost vision caught the gesturing of another station attendant, again of the same different race, trying to tell me the big car was not moving because the driver was using a phone.  I thanked the attendant with my own gesturing and found a different exit to leave the whole sorry sadness behind me.

No, I wasn't sad because someone was rude; someone is always rude and I have not enough sadness to address the many rudeness.  The kind face of the second attendant reminded me of the first and the one before guarding the door and suddenly I saw my in-laws years ago attending to janitorial duty in a Zellers that once sat where the new bubbling Chinese supermarket is now.  My people, my friends and family, have finally made a turn for good, for the better shopping experience, for the best SUV, came in from the cold, into warmer than very warm homes, and now some other "people" are making the world spin to our easy rhythm of a good life well lived.  Good for us, fit to survive and thrive, leaving the whole sorry sadness behind us...

"Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.Yeah, seriously, look for that homeless family, so that we can learn a thing or two from them too...

(So that we can join to kill them for good for reminding us of our homelessness.)

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman