One True Tale


My dearest pastor,

You are almost there.  You have always been here, fully present, and now, and for that, you are ready to be there.

"I feel good about that," you said.  About dying.  About being here till the end.  Not even dementia could take you away from where Jesus is.

I was in the bookstore yesterday and you spoke to me.

I picked up a book, a beautifully illustrated new edition of Hans Christian Andersen's famous Christmas tale about a young fir tree so anxious to grow up, to grow old, to grow into greater things, that he is always coveting after being there and never grateful about being here.  It is a tragedy about a few little illusions that grow into one big greed, branch off from the heart, dissatisfaction the path, disappointment the end, too many steps too confused to trace one's way back home.

This book is going to outlast you, Pastor Pete, I said.  It is going to outlast me too.  The next Christmas is always a contingency.  One day someone will be reading this book and s/he won't know a little man called Alex has held it once and the fabric cover holds his tears, two drops, one of joy, one of sorrow, for you, on October 14, 2018, around 3 pm.

 A long obedience in the same direction, you answered.  That's our true story.

Yours, Alex

Comments

  1. My dearest pastor,

    About 6.5 months ago, I first learned about you & began my journey through your memoir, The Pastor, in the silence of nearly every night. Since then, your words have lived within & beyond me. With grief in the flight of joy, I feel undeserving to share this final moment with you:

    Crimson greets darkness
    on the morning horizon.

    By noon the earth swells
    with things & thoughts:
    love cremated
    bleeding navels
    tumor of pain.

    Among hearts in riot,
    like a stillborn,
    I live in death -
    the casket, my home.

    Then I hear your voice
    and see the torch you've raised,
    your words burning with hope
    on my pages.

    To me,
    for the world,
    your gift is
    One True Tale.

    “A Long Obedience in the Same Direction”: I’ve just bought your e-book tonight. Soon enough, one day when I’ll be almost there, I’d like to say with you: “That’s our true story.”

    Yours, Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman