Not There


Dear Eugene,

Dropped off my daughter at school, an extra early day for her, and went for milk and banana.

At the grocery check-out I overheard a lady saying to a staff something obviously about the past weekend's municipal election, which way she leaned I didn't pick up, it doesn't matter.  She was talking about something bad that's bound to happen within five years and she would rather not see it in her lifetime.

I sure hope I won't be around by then, her words.

The thing is she's not that old. The thing is if she is to go to her doctor today and the doctor is to give her five years she'd roll in mud and curse high heaven.  Not fair at all, she'd wail.  Yet she had prophesied the fairness of her not having to suffer with anyone else.  Let alone for.

Yesterday morning a brother in Christ took us for a prayer walk before Sunday worship.  We walked a block, and then another.  Forget it Alex, it's Chinatown.  Nothing will make the smell go away.  Nothing.  Not pouring rain.  Not purifying snow.  You shut your nostrils from inside to protect your palate, your appetite for life.  How are the cardboard shelters going to hold up when the rain comes, in two days, as the weather man prophesied?

I was planning to take a long Sabbath walk after church, Before the rain comes, I said, and sure enough I did.  When it does I will try to stay indoor.  I will still try my best to go outdoor, with proper gears head to toe, make real my brief romanticism in the baptism of unholy elements of life.

I sure hope I won't be around by then.  I will try to be there.

But, no, not really.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman