A Thousand Words


Dear Eugene,

On our bus ride back from church camp this weekend, someone led us down memory lane to sing along to a well known Cantonese TV show theme song.  Part of it goes this way:

愛你恨你 
問君知否
似大江一發不收

轉千灣
轉千灘
亦未平復此中爭鬥

It is a memory that I don't have because when I was a child I didn't watch TV and the show was before my time anyway.  That I actually know this song speaks about its speaking power.  Let me try to translate--or, more like, paraphrase, like what you did with the Bible.

Love you, hate you
I don't know which
Do you know any?
A torrent once unleashed turns no tail

Bent a thousand times
Wended to a thousand shores
No score settled
The deluge rages on

I don't think I am doing a good job and maybe no one ever can.  There are a thousand words for hate in the Chinese language and this one as I see it cuts like a little knife to inflict on a thin space and you might die from it eventually but not quite yet cos that would be too easy.

I think this is all I can write this morning.  The poetry exhausted me.  To not bastardize a language that adamantly resists abstraction exhausted me.  It takes every grain of moral fiber in us to resist whoring our way through life.

The deluge rages on.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman