Stories of Others


Dear Eugene,

Last night my mom-in-law asked me why I am the way I am.  She is childlike and would often ask the darnedest question and really beyond adorable.

In fact she asked a lead-in question first: Your family wasn't that poor when you grew up in HK, right?  She wanted to say I don't have a background of hardship and ask why then I would live like I have one.

I answered in a typically very me way to speak about not just the Whats of me but the Hows and invite her to see the What-ifs.

Reading, at one moment I allowed myself to be explicit, I am informed by what I read, by the stories of others.  My head (though I meant to say heart) is often somewhere else.

Poland 1939, the Russian occupation.  That's where my head is recently.  I don't really talk about this part of me because this world is from a novel that is out-of-print but for whatever reason I have a copy of it.  Like, seriously, 1939?

Someone told me I must be 143 years old, giving me an extra stroke to make sense of the strange.  Every strangeness at night becomes the new normal by dawn, that's how I define growing.

Yesterday on Skytrain I saw something strange, two ladies a generation removed, the younger a teenager, leaning on each other as if to keep death at bay.  I've seen this image before in a war movie, more than one actually, or maybe in a photograph brown and tatter-edged.  But never in Vancouver.  Certainly not in 2018.

Poland 1939, I muttered.  Consanguinity, a strange word came out of nowhere.  I jerked my head away, embarrassed at the gaze I gave as I felt it was.

Then slowly I turned back, as if to look out the window beside them for a more familiar sight, somewhere out there.  The corner of my right eye confirmed I was not delusional and probably wasn't gazing for the ladies were paying no attention to me.

I left the train and let them stay at the fringe of the very me.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Dog

The Order of the Soul

One World, This