Some Nobody


Dear Eugene,

Nobody feels any pain
Tonight as I stand inside the rain

I often ask God, Why would you give such wise words to someone as stingy with love and frequently downright mean-spirited as Bob Dylan?  I sing these lines at least once a day and that's only counting my being conscious of singing them.  Bless this sonuvabitch.

Of course everybody feels pain.  So it is a simple irony, isn't it?  But wait a minute: How do you know?

You say you feel pain in you and I can accept that, but to say I am feeling pain and you know it too is a bit of a stretch.  I often don't even have words to describe how I feel; so who are you to say you know my feeling, give it the same name you have given yours and assume they are siblings, comrades, lovers?

It's more than a loss in translation. It's a lack of common language, speechless, wordless, loneliness.  Like standing inside the rain...what else does a person need to say, what more can be added to...standing inside the rain?

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Dog

The Order of the Soul

One World, This