Goodbye


Dear Eugene,

People you see once a year, if that, send them back to where they came from, expect the circle to come around again, who are they to you anyway?  Signpost?  Of what?

We should do more of this, a family member said to an annual visitor during our two-day mini-vacation together.  DV.

Let's just say God wills.  I am more interested in what Man does.  (Not that one can easily untangle the two.)

Do I expect the same person to show up next year?  Is it kind of me to expect this way, as if it's a well-wish, for him to retain his youth even knowing for sure he's losing it at an ever increasing pace, for him to gain more wealth even seeing the abrasion on his face by the mechanism of prosperity, a peeling off of humanity, layer by layer?  How presumptuous of me to think what goes around really comes around.

I wished him well.  I let him be.  Is this the best I can do for a friend?

The world is full of bad news.  He trotted around the Globe to find my hand and shook it.  I passed on nothing other than a hasty warmth, which he couldn't discern anyway because the world around him is hot as is.

What is so good in a bye if we don't feel like it might be a bye for good?

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman