Poking Around


Dear Eugene,

Summer morning, feeling something is missing is not the proper feeling for a day like today, right?

Melancholy should be reserved and preserved for the rainy season, which will surely come, soon enough.  Getting sad too quickly is drinking hard on your youth; you empty your bottle to prophesy about emptiness.

Now I need hardcore theology, I think, words that poke right into the wound of it all.  This Thomas is at the right place to give the finger.

It's strange, if I stop to think about it, when I am really ready to get down and dirty about stuffs, of all the things I've read, science, literature, politics, history, it is theology that I would reach for.

Everything is only partially true, even theology, but great theology allows, invites, and encourages the greatest impartiality to all partial truths.

I pity those whose theology doesn't do that.  To poke around soft wound with hardened heart is a hell of a melancholy.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman