Your Will Be Done


Dear Eugene,

"Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven."

The Lord's Prayer, we all know these words.  But what are they saying?

They are saying, God, I want what you want.  Please help me to live this very day in my very life circumstances to know what you desire and desire it.  Right here, right now, I long for what you long for.  Not tomorrow, not later, not after I retired, not after I got my roof fixed, my trees trimmed, not after I got my morning coffee, my hearty breakfast, confirmed tonight's restaurant reservation, not after the World Cup, not after I made my first million dollar, passed my next exam, came back from next week's vacation, got my stable job, moved up the ladder, got married to the right person, set my kids on the right path, changed my flat tire, burned the amount of fat I desire to burn daily, got the recognition I deserve from my friends, spouse, colleagues and boss, figured out where I should stand on Global Warming, Third World debt and hunger, the next book I should read, the next "issue" I should tackle...  All these matter, deeply, but they all begin with the next step, the next breath I shall take in and breathe out, the next person I am going to meet, the next action I am going to take, the next heartache I am going to face, the next word I am going to speak.  Help me to be faithful, in the short-run, and thus in the long-run, in the small things, and hence in the big things.  There are things I can see, and there are things I cannot see yet (or shall never).  Help me to see like you.  Help me to die like you.  Help me to live for what you made me to live for, in The Way you called me to live, right here, right nowThis is your moment, and what joy to find myself in it!

Amen, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman