The Lovesick King


Dear Eugene,

I was walking into a mall with my wife and in-laws.

Someone's playing rough, I thought, from what I heard.

Two young East Indian men were wrestling another young man, forcing him against the large surface of a supporting structure.  It looked violent but it really sounded like frolicking.

I thought I heard giggling until I saw the man against the wall had only one skate-shoe on, his other shoe not too far from where he tried to stay standing, three feet away from a skateboard obviously his, two twisted "Mr. Big" candy bars foregrounded the commotion, off-creen from the left entered a voice ill-at-ease to put ease in all bystanders: I got it, I got it....

An older man, apparently a retail store manager, finally got it altogether.

With a pair of handcuffs.

Where do you get a pair of handcuffs, just like that?  I muttered to who knows whom.  Was it on him all the time?  In a drawer where he'll open to pull it out at a rude moment's notice?  Is the downfall of young man so prevalent that judgement is always at the door, ready to pounce to "get things together"?

Well, you steal a...I heard an onlooking judge pronouncing beside me, an old man's voice...a...what's it? a candy bar--for heaven's sake--well, you get arrested, and that's that...

I wondered if this judge has a son.  Or a grandson, for his age.  I wondered if his grandson likes skateboarding, that sometimes he would lose a shoe when trying to board his skate in an agitated state of mind and being, running away from a decision he had made and instantly regretted but was now too late to stop following it through, praying in his heart of heart for one final deliverance, vowing to never agitate another soul in his life, not to even kill a fly or curse at a dog, if only the deliverance would come as he vaguely recalled promised somewhere sometime ago, by the caressing touch of a young mother, the stern but reassuring words of a young father, the irksome presence of a school teacher who gave him her heart which he carelessly dropped and didn't regret and attempt another causal look at the poor thing on the ground until years later...

For myself, I didn't have to wonder any of these.

I have a son who at the moment when this tragedy was playing out at the entrance of this mall has already entered the entrance of another mall not too many miles away shopping for a skateboard likely wearing a pair of Snoopy-themed Vans I got him two weeks ago and trashed a week after.  One thing more I didn't have to wonder is that he likes candy bar and wouldn't mind having one when he feels like having one.

The scene ended before it gained any significant dramatic traction.  A young man fell, and that's that.  I and other judges walked away from the little square stage, back to other affairs in need of our frequent and diligent judging.

Angels in heaven were weeping, for their King was heartbroken, too lovesick to be consoled, and now refusing to eat, to dance, to delight in anything until he has his lost son back.

Weeping, Alex

Comments

  1. Dear Eugene,

    “Angels in heaven were weeping, for their King was heartbroken…”

    Heartbroken was the woman whom I had met at the spa. It was my day off from work & I was scheduled to be loved at the most superficial level by botanical facial peel & mask. My esthetician, who exuded charm & experience, wrapped me tenderly on the massage table under the enchantment of low lights & soothing sonatas. Her fingers danced on my face every so delicately, each glide conveying poetry to every epidermal cell. I sank deeper into the cotton sheets, raptured by the spell of love.

    As she continued to caress my face with the sweetness of aloe vera cream, our conversations over the course of 45 min drifted from weather to yoga before descending upon the subject of men. Her husband had left her several years ago, she lamented. Now in her mid-forties, she had transitioned more recently to a promising emotional relationship, which unfortunately ceased to thrive over the past several months much to her bewilderment. But the search for love would surely persist over peaks & chasms until the perfect union be found.

    For a suspended breath in time, I briefly saw my past narrative enmeshed in hers. There is nothing more grievous than rejection, the hollow reality of being abandoned at the other side of closed doors. Have we been escaping all our lives from the unspeakable prospect of rejection? Could it possible to believe wholeheartedly in the existence of the greatest love known to humankind, the type of love which supersedes all grand imageries of passion & eroticism rampant in mythologies?

    The greatest love story of the Lovesick King must be shared. I found the King earlier in my life & His acceptance of me has banished the hollowness within me. Now at this momentous time, it is up to me to relay this love story to her & the heartbroken so that we may be restored in perfect reunion with the King.

    Weeping no more, K


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman