Talking Trash


Dear Eugene,

Growing up is as much about unlearning as learning.

No one can survive without learning to preserve one's all-important self.  No one can truly live without dying continually in ways big and small to one's petty little self.  One doesn't need to trumpet a great religion or tall calling to know this much is true about life on earth.

So what is the fine balance--if to speak of a balance is even a correct frame of mind to comprehend this contradiction?  Is there a scale to adjust how much I should choose to keep or lose myself?  A spectrum of just the right mix of give and take?  And based on what?  If I cheat the scale and did what I didn't mean to do, does it still count favorably to my humanity, or am I risking a deep-down rotting of heart that will one day produce a stench indisputable and inexcusable?

Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."

Did Jesus talk about a balance, a fine-tuning of our level of comfort, a nuanced situational ethics?  Do you see a scale here?  I didn't either.  How are we supposed to respond to a declaration as ham-handed as this?

I guess most of the time we just don't respond.

We heard what was read and uttered our perfunctory Amen--like, who is going to disagree with the Bible, especially the red-letter words?  We don't even have enough time and energy to learn how to properly put our life together; who can squeeze out an ounce of motivation or willingness to unlearn our ways of hunter-gatherer?  If I can keep up with the latest "scientific findings" about what I should feed my kids and actually find a way to feed them accordingly, it would be a triumph of will on my part, a podium moment, an Oscar speech that deserves its gold-plated hashtag.

Losing our life?  We are too busy scrambling in the dark, too confused about what we are trying to gain in our life, to even start to think about what it means by losing it.  We are wind-up toy that must run its course to wobble and rumble through life, that words go in our right ear usually tumble out of the left wholesale, through too short a straight tunnel to flirt with a chance of remembering, let alone making a difference.

You can tell I am going nowhere with what I am trying to get at here.  I am telling you because I know you don't need me to draw a sermon conclusion to truly listen to me.

Sometimes I kinda wish my Christian friends would at least be honest enough to talk trash.

Yours, Alex

Comments

  1. To extend this trash talk, I am becoming more aware of my rubbish goals, needs & identities mounting on quicksand. The wound-up toy will soon halt in its abjectly sorrowful course to contribute to trash. Lose our trash & gain all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman