Dependence

Dear Eugene,

Last night I took the ferry and then hopped on a bus that I knew only the general direction it was going.  I heard street name being called out one stop after another, none of them I knew, going through deep darkness, living fully at the mercy of others.

Streaks of rain rolled down the window, further marring my haze-glazed view.  I saw a church and liked how it looked, even if only a fine distortion.  There's a quaint street-side café that I promised myself I will visit one day (though forgot its name right away).  I changed seat half-way to get a different perspective, one at a darker back corner; artificial light tends to dispel mystery.

After about an hour of persistent reminder of the stranger that I was, I finally couldn't resist and used Google map to locate myself.  Maybe this time I have gone too far...



Yesterday morning a lady told me about her experience serving the poor: We learned how to depend on each others--we need to, since we have no money to depend on.

Blessed are the poor.

In my church everybody arrives in his/her own car and the thought of asking if anyone else might need a ride home is foreign to our imagination.  We are too well-adjusted to be further adjusted by the Spirit.

I was reading a Christmas sermon by Rowan Williams about dependence.  I think soon enough I will have shared all his Christmas sermons with you.


Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman