Speaking the Word

Dear Eugene,

When you have too much feeling in you, you don't know how you should feel.

That's what autumn does to me.  And it doesn't help that Gord Downie passed away last night.  I feel sad and thankful.  For Gord.  For autumn.

Last night before bed I was reading this remarkable collection of graphic journalism by the Russian artist/activist Victoria Lomasko, thanks to my local library for showcasing her little gem.

You said in your book "Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work":

"It is not the pastor’s job to simplify the spiritual life, to devise common-denominator formulas, to smooth out the path of discipleship. Some difficulties are inherent in the way of spiritual growth — to deny them, to minimize them, or to offer shortcuts is to divert the person from true growth. It is the pastor’s task, rather, to be companion to persons who are in the midst of difficulty, to acknowledge the difficulty and thereby give it significance, and to converse and pray with them through the time so that the loneliness is lightened, somewhat, and hope is maintained, somehow."

Would you think I am going too far to say this doesn't only apply to pastoral work or growth in a person's spiritual life, that I really don't think there is any other way to come to terms with humanity, of our own and others'?

The most remarkable thing about Victoria's "graphic journal" is her belief that every little human story is worth telling and she told what she had the privilege to eavesdrop on without fanfare, a straight-shooter aiming for the heart.

I followed the simple lines of her simple drawings about simple people and asked myself, "If God is to grant me one chance of a conversation with this person (in the drawing), who lives in a world within and without very different from mine, what and how would I speak?"

Would I articulate a proper system of doctrine to "set her life right" and pray that with the right ideas she will do fine for the rest of her life?  Would I offer him money and say, Hey, can I do something? when there's nothing to be done or can be done?

Words.

What words would I give birth to and make flesh?
What is there to mend when things are broken beyond repair?
What is there to say when what really matters is often unspeakable?

God speaks a Word.  Jesus The Word.  The Word became one of us, moved into our neighborhood.  The Word restores, speaks the unspeakable, sets things right.  Brings peace on earth as it is in heaven.

The Word is the word we are learning to speak.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman