Growing Younger



Dear Eugene,

Tom Petty has passed away.

Still remember about 25 years ago in a concert celebrating Bob Dylan's 30 years as a recording artist, Petty with a few then and now still well known musicians were on stage doing Dylan's "My Back Pages."

Crimson flames tied through my ears, rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon, " said I, proud 'neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth, "rip down all hate, " I screamed

Lies that life is black and white spoke from my skull, I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers foundationed deep, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

So to Dylan, and by extension to these once rebellious rockers, to "grow younger" is to learn to shut up and stop protesting.

I can understand the sentiment, even the necessity to shut up.  One grows to get disillusioned about The Cause, the government, the church, the One Romance, the family, the other(s).  The self.

We grow to not trust the world.  We grow to disappoint in ourselves.

Girls' faces formed the forward path from phony jealousy
To memorizing politics of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists, unthought of, though somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now

A self-ordained professor's tongue too serious to fool

Spouted out that liberty is just equality in school
"Equality, " I spoke the word as if a wedding vow
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Dylan grows so "young" now he's singing Sinatra.  Let's face the music and dance.  What else is there to speak about and to this world?  What else can one do?  Massacres happened, too often, and shall happen again.  Liberty, equality, justice--nice work if you can get it.

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand at the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy in the instant that I preach
My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats too noble to neglect

Deceived me into thinking I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now

I still listen to Dylan, because he is honest about his dishonesty.  It is much better than what one usually gets coming down from a pulpit or whatever pedestal, dishonesty about being honest--and worse still, done sincerely.  How many preacher or politician can admit to this, "I had become my own enemy in the instant that I preached"?

But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do,  
  what God is looking for in men and women.
It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor,  
  be compassionate and loyal in your love,
And don’t take yourself too seriously—  
  take God seriously.
(Micah 6:8)

God has a case against us, especially those who claim to be his people.  He who does no justice and loves not mercy will be punished, will "eat but not be satisfied."

It is little wonder why we are constantly craving, always thirsty, perpetually hungry.  We could sit in our new car with brand-new winter tires, and still visualize with our eyes of fear how our world would one day inevitably spin out of control.  If we are to die a miserable and meaningless death this afternoon, who would care?  Well, we don't care about this uncaring, miserable world either!

Growing senile, callous, cynical.  Can't get ourselves to give; can't bear the embarrassment to receive.

No, we cannot afford to grow "younger."

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman