Unexpected

Dear Eugene,

Yesterday afternoon the moment I stepped out of my front door to walk Sumi I heard a voice calling my name.  It was from the other side of the street, two houses down, where my neighbor whom I had visited only this past weekend resides.

Only that it was not his voice.  And he is definitely not the yell-across-the-street-two-houses-up type.

Hey Alex, have you seen the coyo(te)?  

It's the whistling postman.  I don't know if it's the beard that made him look jolly or his bright whistling indeed carefree; he has a Christmas presence.  I could never make out the song he whistles, sometimes so loud that you could hear from the other side of a street, like a moving pin on a Google map that you could pinpoint which house he was at without seeing him.

Of course he knows my name, I murmured, Of course!  He's the mail man, duh!

But I didn't expect him to call me by my very name.  He could have just said, Hey, there!

But why not?  Why did I not expect my name to be called?

That's a very good question: Why not?  I said Hi to him almost everyday, and we would come so close to a mere distance of a parcel between us sometimes more than once a month.  Then why would it feel so surprising, so...strange to hear him calling my name?

Did I expect no intimacy from someone whose footprints embedded in the soil of my neighborhood deeper and wider than anyone else?  Does his daily presence mean nothing more than a hired man carrying out a paid-for routine?  Would it make a difference to me if his face is to be blotted out, replaced, service rendered obsolete by machine, by our ever-heightening expectation in constant and instantaneous satisfaction, personal purpose fulfilled, if only to finally paint ourselves to a corner of our dark basement, the moment's desired product in hands, ready for our next little craving, postman's steps need not be part of the picture.

I took a different route after hearing the postman's warning, and met him again half way.

Thank you for letting me know, I said and paused.  What is your name?

He was taken aback for a split second, only to quickly regain his smile and answered me.

I don't think he expected it either.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman