Getting Lucky

Dear Eugene,

Today there is sun, very pleasant yet again.  Tomorrow there'll be rain.

So they say.

Who are "they"?  Someone who knows.  Someone who knows the rainmaker.

My friend, the one I told you about yesterday, said he will try to go to church again.

But you do know it is not about an obligation, right?  I said gently.  That God doesn't need us to be in a square building to feel happy about us.

God doesn't need anything; the least of it our religiosity.  There exists no currency for us to barter with him.

And, by the way, I think you are now properly disillusioned enough to know many church-folks are not really...let's just say, "nice folks," right?

He knows.  First-hand.  People closest to him.  Family.

We go to church, among many others things, to wait on God.  To wait on God will always involve waiting on our neighbors, even our enemies, ready to serve, ready to give and forgive, ready to love.  Despite who they are.  Especially despite who we are.

Ready to cash in a windfall of Holy Luck.

Like how those people in that little church waiting on you this past weekend.

Tonight is my first Small Group meeting of the season.  I am ready to get lucky.

I know.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman