Faith and Religion

Dear Eugene,

Last week my son told me when he was at his short-term mission trip, he wrote a rap song with friends to tell about the Gospel, in which there was a line "You gotta know your religion," and a friend corrected him by saying Christianity is not a religion but a faith.

My son protested, "How can Christianity not be a religion?  We all know it is one of the big religions."

I said to him, "You might be right if you are a sociologist trying to find ways to categorize things, which is often an elusive and thankless task to begin with.  But your friend was onto something, that Christianity really is not a religion, if your definition of religion is a systematized way to access God or The Higher Power or whatever you call it, for whatever purpose you might have in mind."

Then I continued, "What's more.  The Christian God hates religion--Oh, more than anything!  You've been reading your Bible; I am sure you can't miss that."

This past Sunday I heard in a sermon something like this: "Sometimes our theology takes us only to the foot of the cross, but it really shouldn't stay there..."  How I wanted to hold up my hand and yell, "Sir, Mr. Preacher, you said it right.  But would you please not move on just yet, would you please just stay there for a moment and invite us to ask ourselves: Why?  Why does our theology take us only to the foot of the cross and we often just stay right there?  And if our theology does that (or has the tendency to do that), then is it still good theology?"

Good theology should be all of one piece, that "sanctification" or "living a missional life" shouldn't be secondary, subsequent, or even--God forbid--optional steps to "take things up a notch" after "saying Yes to Jesus" and receiving our "justification".

How we live our lives reveals what we truly believe in.  Personally I think if we only stay at the foot of the cross, then we've never been at the foot of the cross.  If we are so sure about our doctrine of "substitutionary atonement", then why is it that one of the most common questions I get from seasoned believers is still: "How do I know I am truly saved?"--a question about how a "religion" works, how to cash a promissory note, how to access God to get what I want.  Whereas the question itself is perfectly legitimate, it nevertheless reveals the heart condition of the doubter.

Believers who asked this question was usually experiencing a moment of rare honesty when looking at their own lives.

This past weekend my son's cousin come to our home for a couple of nights of sleepover.  My son made fun (not in front of him) and said to me, "Haha, he'll be sleeping on the hard ground but I on my comfy bed!"  I answered, "To invite him to your place and let him sleep beside you on the ground is religion; to give him your comfy bed and you sleep on the ground is faith."

You know how my son answered?

"I should have never told you my rap song story!"

LOL, Alex


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman