Vulnerable but Free

Dear Eugene,

Your biggest fans are in Vancouver now, ready to rock the city.

"We always had a thing with Canada in general, but Vancouver has been very, very welcoming of us at a time when we we’re very fragile," Bono commented on why they choose Vancouver to kick off their tour. "Because you get quite vulnerable when you are preparing to launch a tour. And I know that sounds odd, but there is a level of nausea, and sort of, you feel ill in the pit in your stomach. It’s a really anxious time… Here in this city we feel very free. And I like to get out of the city and I go wandering, I go cycling, I get lost around here, and I like getting lost in B.C."

It's amazing how, after all these years and so many concerts, someone as big as U2 would still not only feel small but acknowledge their smallness.

"Here in this city we feel very free."  I wonder if we Vancouverites know what Bono meant.  We are so used to this freedom that a sense of proportion and contrast is either lost or never acquired.

I knew a man who alleged to have decades ago literally swum his way out of his war-torn country and found peace and liberty in Canada.  Now when people mentioned how Vancouver is again named one of the very best places to live on this planet, he would say, "What do you mean, you mean the high tax?"  Or something like that.  It's not just that he was trying to be a contrarian.  He genuinely disbelieves how on earth one can call it good being here.

And he is not alone.  Everybody complains here.  We are a bunch of faithless whiners, even within church walls.

I cried about our church often.

Yours, Alex

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One World, This

He Walks Our Line

A Word for the Caveman